When life gives you lemons, make lemonade? Well, that’s not all you can do with an ordinary lemon. From your ordinary household cleaning to skincare remedies, the possibilities are endless. Here are 16 reasons why lemons are the most useful thing in the world
1. Making an all-purpose cleaner
- Looking for a more safer and vegan way to clean up your home? Why not try an all-natural cleanser?
- Simply peel a lemon, and pour 150ml of vinegar over it and let it sit overnight.
- In morning, add the mixture to an empty spray bottle and add water. Voila.
- You got your very own lemon cleanser that you can use all around your home and it smells great!
2. Cleaning your cutting board
- So, you invested in a new cutting board but now you’ve noticed that even the best kitchen tool don’t come with tips and tricks on how to clean them properly.
- And you don’t want to use just any chemically-cleanser since all your food is going to go on it.
- So how about you try something safe and way cheaper than those store-bought cleanser.
- You can use household items to clean your cutting board and keep it looking new for a very long time and you probably have the two ingredients in your kitchen already!
- All you need is some lemon and coarse salt.
- Start by putting on a pair of kitchen rubber gloves, safety first. Rinse your cutting board with warm water and then grab enough salt to cover the entire cutting board.
- The next step is to squeeze the lemon juice over the salt.
- Then grab your sponge and in circular motions, go over the entire cutting board and give it a good scrub.
- Rinse off and there you have it, a clean lemony-fresh cutting board!
3. Brightening your whites
- Are your whites not white enough, or you seemed to have stained your favorite white t-shirt?
- Soak your whites in a mixture of lemon and baking soda for an hour before washing them.
- Those pesky stains will be out in no time.
- Save yourself a trip to the nail salon by making a rejuvenating bath for your nails at home.
- All you need is a few drops of lemon in warm water to get your bath ready! How easy is that?
- Why not make a night out of it by inviting your girls for a spa day at home
- Soak your feet in to the fresh, warm bath for 15 minutes and then dry off.
- Afterwards paint your nails with a funky color and you’re ready to hit the town in some flirty sandals that’ll give foot fetish a whole new meaning.
5. Getting rid of freckles
- I, for one find freckles super adorable but if you are not a fan of them life me then worry not, lemons are here to save the day
- Yes, lemon has lightening properties that help you fade freckles, age spots, and acne marks!
- Just slice a lemon very thinly and gently rub it across your face.
- Make sure to wash off after 5 minutes and use sunblock to protect your gorgeous skin from the sun.
6. Improving digestion
- Now this is a healthy habit that everyone should adopt! Having a warm glass of water with lemon and honey helps to improve your digestion, boost metabolism and helps you lose weight.
- Drinking lemon water in the morning will also help to keep your body hydrated and get rid of any toxins in your body.
7. Setting a table properly
- Hosting a great dinner party requires great food, a beautiful centerpiece, dim lighting, plates and cutlery placed all neat.
- But there is one key element that people seem to forget.
- You see with the food and drinks flowing around you need to provide little finger bowls, filled with warm water and lemon so that your guests can clean off their fingers between courses.
8. Refreshing appliances
- Is your fridge stinking up the place? Soak a sponge in lemon juice to get rid of the foul smell.
- You can also add lemon juice to your dishwater and let it swing its course or add some to the humidifier to fresh your dishwater up.
- The delicious lemon scent will fill your whole kitchen making you want to never reach for a store-bought cleanser again.
9. Growing sprouts
- The next time you find yourself squeezing a lemon to make lemonade why not save some of the seeds and plant your own lemon tree!
- It’s pretty simple and straightforward. Lemon trees can be grown inside your own home, having a beautiful appearance with dark green leaves to pearl white blooms, it can be a great addition to your home and garden.
- Here is how you can grow your own lemon tree. Grab a pot and fill it with damp soil all the way.
- Now grab a smaller pot and fill it with soil, stopping one inch from the rim.
- Grab a lemon and cut it in half, removing all the seeds and pulp.
- Now bury the seeds one inch deep in the soil of the smaller pot. Cover the pot with a plastic wrap and a rubber to keep it in place.
- Poke holes in the plastic and make sure to water the seeds so that the soil always remains moist.
- Keep the pot in a warm windowsill and watch it grown through the weeks.
- Although a lemon tree might take a long time to grow, the wait is totally worth it!
10. Getting rid of shoe odors
- Your favorite running shoes might not have the most pleasant smell.
- Get rid of shoe odor by simply placing some lemon peels in your shoes overnight and by the next morning you’ll have great smelling kicks.
11. Making candle holders
- You can make your very own naturally scented candles from hallowed out lemon skin and beeswax.
- Grab a lemon and remove all the pulp, fill it with the melted beeswax but make sure the temperature is just right.
- Don’t forget about the candle wick, make sure it is glued to the bottom of the candle holder and let it cool.
- You can also decorate your candles with paint and customize it to your liking.
- Talk about recycling, what a great way to go green!
12. Improving your overall health
- Lemons are considered to be one of Mother Nature’s blessing. Your search for an exotic fruit that can add to your overall health can come to a halt. Besides being a nutritious food, lemons are used for many other purposes. So, the next time you see some lemons, make sure to store them up in your home to boost your health. Hydration is the key to a healthy life. We all know that drinking 8 glasses of water a day is essential but why not kick it up a notch by adding some lemon to your drinking water. Lemons provide vitamins and nutrients like Vitamin C, potassium, calcium and magnesium to help you stay hydrated through- out the day. Lemons are known to boost your immunity system. Packed with Vitamin C the yellow zesty fruit may be your savior when it comes to fighting off infections and colds. D-limonene, a phytochemical compound found in lemons are known to be very beneficial for digestion.
- There has been proof of an essential oil that is present in the peels of lemons which helps to relieve heartburn and neutralize gastric acid. Lemons can be used both internally and externally to help protect your skin and keep it looking clear and fresh. By including lemons in your diet, you are internally helping your system to flush any toxins that might be harmful to you and that may be the main cause of any acne. You can also topically use lemon juice in masks and toners to brighten up your complexion of any spots or freckles and treat your acne as well. But we’re not done yet, lemons are known to help lose weight. Shed off those extra pounds by incorporating lemon into your meals and drinking warm lemon water. Your metabolism will be higher than ever and you’ll get that summer body you’ve been waiting for! If you suffer from iron deficiency, try increasing the intake of lemons in your diet. Lemons are abundant in vitamin C and citric acid, which are known to absorb iron from the food you eat. So for this obvious reason adding lemons to your meal will help with nutrient absorption and reduce the risk of anemia. The list can go on and on as lemons help in lowering cholesterol, and cardiovascular health as wealth. You might as well give capes to lemons as they truly are the superheroes of the food kingdom.
13. Cleaning stainless steel
- If you find yourself having a hard time removing stains from stainless steel, why not try going the natural route instead of reaching for those over the top chemical loaded cleansers. It’s as easy as pie.
- Peel a lemon and grab some baking soda.
- Spread the baking soda over the stainless steel and use the peel to clean out any stains.
14. Removing berry stains
- You are bound to stain your hands and clothes when preparing fresh berries for your pies, custards, salads or smoothies.
- But who wants to walk around with stains all over their hands and clothes?
- No worries, I have just the solution for you.
- Squeeze some juice out of a lemon and it will surely help you to remove any stains from your hands.
- Got a stain on your favorite white shirt?
- No problem, soak your shirt in cold water and lemon juice before throwing it into the wash.
15. Repelling insects
- Having an insect infestation can be quite the annoyance not to mention gross.
- Instead of calling the exterminator, try tackling the problem with the blessings of Mother Nature, the all mighty and powerful, lemons!
- Yes, that’s right, you can squeeze lemon juice at your doorways and windows to stop ants from entering into your home.
- Now that the ant issue is solved, what about mosquitos?
- Well, there is a solution for that too, stick cloves into lemons that have been cut into a half and say bye bye to those little critters.
16. Bleaching underarms
- Lemons are nature’s bleachers. The acid present in these superfoods has the ability to bleach dark underarms.
- Simply rub half a lemon with baking soda on your armpits every time you’re in the shower.
- The citric acid will help to exfoliate any dead skin and give you a bright and healthy glow.
- Do this continuously for a week to see results but remember to moisturize afterwards, as all that acid can be quite drying.